What are internal doors in new builds made of?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While renovating my house Im trying to make a decision for doors in the house, I'd ideally like solid oak with all the trimmings inc skirting and window frames/ledges but thats not going to happen on my budget.

I saw folk using solid oak doors with white skirting/frames recently and it looked much better than I expected and would be much closer to mu budget in that I wouldnt need to rip out old door frames to make it work.

Working in a new build today, I can only assume they were fire doors, very heavy, self closing, and they were painted a colour a few shades off the wall colour to mach the coloured skirting and looked and felt very solid.

Will they likley be fire doors? seems daft to buy a solid oak/mahogany/whatever door for the price they are and paint them, so im asking if they are likley fire doors? or if you can get solid doors that you could pain cheaper than nicely finished wood effect doors?

sorry for the sort of ramble, but i think i got my point over lol

Sponsored Links
Thanks!

I'll need to look into that, Its a really old house so want the doors to be heavy to feel like quality and to keep noise levels down, quite happy to paint them as the ones I saw today looked very nice painted the same as the skirtings but not in white.

Can fire doors be cut down to size like solid wood doors?

Problem is that mine are currently about 34" x 82" So might need to get them made to fit, or if they come in a bigger size, cut them down.

Sponsored Links
You can cut them down, but if you reduce the width you need to relip. Similarly if you reduce the height so much that you cut into the core (chipboard) you will need to lip the top and/or bottom. Timber merchants sell hardwood lipping for this purpose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back