What are the best strap on knee pads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having recently had an op. on my knee and it's still quite sore I'd like to get some strap on knee pads.

The single strap ones are definitely out as I think they would slip and move easily. A wider two strap product would appear much better.

The Redbacks look very effective but they look quite big and cumbersome to wear and pricey!

There are so many on the market but what are the best for protection but also for comfort of wear?

Also as I'm not continually on my knees would it be better to buy work trousers with knee pad inserts?

Richard

Sponsored Links
I wear inserts, some of my colleagues occasionally wear strap on pads but always complain that the strap digs in at the back and never use again, on the flip side though is that some inserts make your knees sweat, I found that with the foam type but with the snickers bean bag type you don't get that, best inserts I've had

bean bags for me too unless kneeling in wet like screed, then a pair of hard shell strap ons!!!! ooh er misses

I can't find these Snickers bean bag type, can you send me details or a link please?

Richard

Sponsored Links
OK, found them. They're called floor layers knee pads 9118.

So no recommendations for strap on types then?

Better start looking at some work trousers. I'll open a need thread for them.

Richard

I use Nailers strap on Gell knee pads. No good with shorts, and yes they cut in even with trousers, but they're damn comfortable.

Also as I'm not continually on my knees would it be better to buy work trousers with knee pad inserts?

Yes, definitely. A good pair of trousers and knee pads are cheaper than new knees!

Look for trousers with a high cotton content, as man made materials will likely make sweat more of a problem/irritation

Nailers gel knee pads are pretty decent but can move around a bit. Also the strap digs into the back off knee after about an hour of kneeling but overall they are pretty decent if your wearing them for short periods

Get some proper work trousers with built in knee pad pockets, then get some decent knee pad inserts.

I wear them all the time at work, couldn't do with out them.

Once you've worn them in, you don't even notice them.

But you really notice when you wear them out!

Other advantage of having trousers with inserts is, if you forget to put the inserts back in after washi, you can probably find something on site to substitute. I've cut up pipe insulation before now, and it's an awful lot nicer to tick it into your trouser knee pockets than it is to wind round your knees with electrical tape!

They get washed with them in, all the time... well at the end of the week.

No problems at all.

Washer 40, drier on half heat, dry all clothes like this, stops shrinking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back