What cable do i need to hardwire a dual fuel range cooker.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a corgi redg fitter to fit this dual fuel range cooker. Will it come with cable for the job or will i need to buy some and what type of cable do i need? The socket is already in place. Thanks, Chris.

Sponsored Links
Thats a question like "what fuel to I put in a car"

What is the power requirement of the cooker in KW, or maybe even the make and model would be useful!

Also, you say "socket". What sort of socket is this, a regular 13A socket with square pins? Or is it a cooker connection plate. If so, what value is the MCB in the consumer unit for this circuit.

Re cable. it depends on the make and model. If it is a plug in typoe (notlikely for a range cooker) then it shopuld come with a plug. Otherwise you'll need a cable. Cable size will depend on the answers to the above.

All of this, including the cable type, should come with the installation instructions for the cooker.

ok. The total electric power of the cooker is 5.7kw. the hardwire cover for conection on the wall is protected by a 32 am2 mcb in the consumer unit. Is this suficiant? thanks folks. I just want everything to be right when the fitter comes so that there is no messing around. If i need to get any bits then i still have time.

Sponsored Links
I can't read the size. it is tucked behind the other cables but, it is serious heavy duty. the previous people had an all electric cooker.

It's the cable from the cooker to the connection point that i am concerned about. A bloke told me Twin and earth but i'm sure he is wrong. thanks.

If you're not sure if the cooker comes with a cable on it, and you want to be prepared, I suggest you get a few metres of 6.0mm2 T+E and some green and yellow earth sleeving.

This should satisfy the 32 amp MCB factor and the kW factor.

It's worth noting not many types of twin and earth should be used as a flex for an appliance, but 6.0mm2 T+E is acceptable. (Not sure why when it has a solid earth, but that's the way it's often done!)

but 6.0mm2 T+E is acceptable. (Not sure why when it has a solid earth, but that's the way it's often done!)
Where does that come from? (Genuine interest)
I suppose there's no particularly rational reason why 6mm² T+E shouldn't have a solid CPC - after all, it's only 2.5mm², and we are totally used to the L&N of 2.5mm² T+E being solid!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back