What cable to use in a granny flat (moved from Projects)

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hi all
I'm changing my garage and servants quarters into a granny flat. there is a cable coming from the house to the garage but the electricians say that I have to put a bigger cable in.I do not understand what a 6 or 10 mm cable is. I have tried to google it but get all other jargon.
Please explain. I only put in lights and plugs. I will be using a washing machine, a tumble dryer, a micro wave. and kettle for the rest I am using gas.What cable should I use?
Please help.

South Africa

Sponsored Links
I do not understand what a 6 or 10 mm cable is

It is the Cross Sectional Area of the copper conductor of the individual wires inside the cable.
It is measured in millimetres squared (mm²).

Gaz :)

A washing machine and tumble drier used together, or a heater or air conditioner, draw a lot of current so they need a thick cable with sufficient capacity. Your electrician will (should) be calculating the cable required for the design load and cable length.

Sponsored Links
You cannot just slam in a big cable and hope for the best,, As said the electrician should work out the size needed based on distance and a number of other factors such as continuous amps, wire type copper/aluminium,

There are a number of online calculators but to be honest they are not that accurate. You would have to supply for potential loads i.e. is it going to have an electric cooker if not is there potential to add one at a later date same with washing machines and dishwashers etc.

Work out appliances, sockets, lighting, etc, get your continuous amps and non continuous amps then the electrician should be able to do the rest.

Back