What cable to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double plug by one side of my lounge door, and i woul like to run a length of cable over the door and have a double plug/extention socket the other side of the door, screwed to the wall. what cable do I use? I can use the ends of the extention that I have running under the carpet, from plug to plug. Any help.

Sponsored Links
It will depend on the circuit you have there, ideally you should use the same sized CSA of the existing circuits cable, the cable will be rated so it is greater than the fuse/MCB that is protecting it.
Can the cable be routed under the floor rather than around the door?
Not under the carpet neither!

I have got a extention running at the moment, its 1.5 mtrs long I want to extend the length to 6 mts to go over the door instead of under the carpet. there I think that explains it better. I am a woman who does not know anything about electric, so need to know, is it a 2 core, 3 core ect........sinply please just want to be able to go into B&Q and buy the right stuff. Ta

Sponsored Links
You will need three cores, earth, neutral and phase conductors.
Are you just plugging it in at the socket outlet or hard wiring the cable in to the socket?

Wow "hard wiring"? Im taking the ends off my short extention and making a long one, suppose it would be as easy to dismantal the extention and see what was there !! :LOL:

Most probably a better thing to do would be remove the 1.5m length of flex and replace it with a more suitable length, rather than having a joint in the flex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back