What cabling should I run to a new room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are halfway thru getting an extension put in which will combine the kitchen, dining room and the new bit to be one big family room.

It makes sense (to me, anyway :D) to make provision for TV before the flooring goes in, but what?

In the olden days, I'd just run an extension of the TV aerial but, of course, there's no more analogue so things are a wee bit more complex.

In the living room we have the sky dish feed on twin coax, plus the original aerial feed. We never watch the TV in terrestrial mode.

Is there any sense in running the Sky coax out to the new room? I guess that with the dual NLBs as standard then we can't easily watch different programmes in both rooms.
What would you run to the new room? Ethernet is a given but don't know what to do re Sky and/or terrestrial.

Thanks
Scott

Sponsored Links
If you can't get conduit and a pull string in to run cables in the future then....

1) RF from Sky box RF2. You might as well unless you are planning on adding a 2nd Sky box and paying for multiroom.

2) 2x satellite grade (WF100) coax from Sky dish for if you do decide to go for 2nd box.

3) 2x Ethernet (1 for now, 1 as a spare/future expansion)

4) 6 core phone cable or one extra Ethernet

I guess that with the dual NLBs as standard then we can't easily watch different programmes in both rooms.
Quad-output LNBs are installed as standard by Sky. Dual LNBs are not used and never have been. Twin-output LNBs were supplied for a very short time (about a month) when Sky+ was first introduced but are no longer available for the Sky minidish.

Ideally, the Sky RF output cable should also be "satellite grade" (double screened) to minimise the risk of interference to the signal or to a magic eye remote system (if used). You can use WF100 or the thinner WF65-1 cable.

Bear in mind that the RF output signal is analogue so any TV it feeds must have an analogue (as well as digital) tuner.

Thanks Chris and Sam

So I may have overplayed my understanding of the topic cos much of your responses have gone over my head.

They will be pulling some cables through (notably the SWA for my garage entering at exactly the same spot as the aerial and satellite cables).

So I should run a pair of WF100 cables, too?

((ethernet is fine - we've had problems with wireless but had good success with TP-Link ethernet over power))

Sponsored Links
RF means TV aerial cable, which means WF100 (you've used that name so we have to presume you understand what WF100 actually is)

"Sky box RF2" is the TV aerial socket on the Sky box. It's called "RF2" unsurprisingly. This is the simplest and least expensive way to watch the signal from the Sky box in the lounge on a TV somewhere else in the house. It's only a window on what the main TV sees though. So if you're watching the football on Sky in the lounge then if you switch the other TV to the channel that sees that lounge Sky box then you'll be watching football on there too. If you want to watch two different Sky channels at the same time then you need two Sky boxes, both of which are wired directly back to the big metal round thing attached to the wall outside your house (the Sky dish ;) ). This is why it's pointless to run a pair of WF100 from the lounge to the new room to be used for a second Sky box. Any Sky box needs direct connections back to the satellite dish for signal. They can't be daisy-chained off the first Sky boxes satellite connections. Add a Sky Magic Eye as a simple and low cost way to control the lounge Sky box from the remote location.

So, we have now covered points 1) and 2) from my original post.

Next is the CAT cable. But you seem to be okay with that.

The only thing to add which might be useful would be a long HDMI cable from the lounge to the new room. This is a much higher quality way to watch the signal from the lounge Sky box. Since a Sky box has only one HDMI output, and you'll be using that for the main TV, then to make use of the long HDMI you will need a HDMI splitter box. The single output from the Sky box will connect to the splitter box which then makes two usable outputs.

If you use the HDMI method, then you can still use the WF100 with the Magic Eye to control the lounge Sky box. That still works even though you're watching via HDMI.

If you find any posts on here useful, please use the Thanks button to the upper right of each post. It costs you nothing and it helps others see the value of the responses as well as gives a little kudos to those who contributed answers :)

If you can't get conduit and a pull string in to run cables in the future then....

1) RF from Sky box RF2. You might as well unless you are planning on adding a 2nd Sky box and paying for multiroom.

2) 2x satellite grade (WF100) coax from Sky dish for if you do decide to go for 2nd box.

3) 2x Ethernet (1 for now, 1 as a spare/future expansion)

4) 6 core phone cable or one extra Ethernet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back