What causes excess water in header tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've got a problem with the central heating. Can anyone tell me why / what causes water to enter the header tank from the central heating.

The boiler is making lots of clanking noises. Is it the trapped air causing the water into the header tank?

Thanks for any answers.

Jim

Sponsored Links
Yes I think the pump is working. Although it was on setting number2. Last weekend put it on the 3 and then the 3amp fuse went in the fuse box by the boiler. Its a lifestyle LP241.

Someone did say it might be the pump. Also wonder if there is sediment in there as when I bleeded the radiators it was quite brown the water. (but its been a few months since last done it)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When you say f/e do mean the tank in the loft? That's in good condition. But it is steaming up the loft and I'm worried about the damage it might cause.

Someone said it might be the themostat is not working and this is causing the hot water to keep heating and the hot water excess is going into the other tank in the loft - does that make sense?

You might be on to something there. I tried a 3A fuse and it went 10 minutes later. I had the hot water on and the pump was red hot with slight 'plastic overheating' smell.

Does that mean the pump needs replacing?

Replaced pump (water had got into the electrics, it also looked rusted up). £80 and its OK except now and again, if the hot water is on too long, it makes a screeching almost siren sound! Someone said the pump was dried out?

Something to do with the small tank in the loft having a blocked pipe? They suggested banging the pipe where two pipes meet??? Can anyone explain what they mean?

Thanks for any help.

Jim ;)

try bleeding the highest radiator in the house and see if water squirts out forcefully.

how high is this rad compared to the pump?

Have you turned the heating off and vented system,its got to be off when you vent system also see if thetres a vent by cylinder it will be on the pipes (is your pump by the cylinder) have you bled the pump and is the tank emptying when you vent,can you hear the water filling when your venting system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back