What Causes This?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quite possibly the most infuriating thing I've ever come across.

16 year old house with its original coats of magnolia.

We've now decorated every room and on ever wall and ceiling without fail this happened (see photos). If its not clear when rolling the paint every so often the paint and plaster would peel off, usually around the screw. You would then need to clean it off, wait for the paint to dry, fill it, sand it then paint again. Even worse when it occasionally happened on the second coat.

I know its unavoidable as there is no way of knowing where it would next happen but is there any reason why this would happen?

Sponsored Links
If the original paint didn't have a mist coat, it's highly probable that subsequent coats with a roller would pull paint off the wall. This can also happen where filler has been applied, and a mist coat wasn't applied to that spot.

I had the same thing in one of our rooms.

Can also happen if you apply a second coat to quickly where the first coat over a cold screw head means the paint has not dried in those spots.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back