what concrete mix for fence supports

J

jeepster

Hi all
i am planning a small picket fence around 3 ft tall.

the boundary of my property is a public footpath.

i dug down along the boundary and because of the foundations for the path i have 2 options.

option 1 site the fence around ten inches from the boundary.
option 2 i can dig down to 4 inches so i was going to cement in some of the metal post supports which are meant to be drilled into concrete,

i thought i could lay them in the hole on a bed of wet concrete then push screws into the concrete then put more concrete on top of the post holder.

whats the best concrete mix - parts of sand to cment and blast.
i need about 9 posts and thought this would work out cheaper than buying ready mixed.

Sponsored Links
If the path foundation encroaches on your land I see no reason why you shouldn't drill through it for your fenceposts.

I imagine it is concrete haunching to hold the kerbstone or something.

If it does not encroach more than a few inches you might consider putting concrete repair spurs in, you can bolt a wooden post to them and it gives another 4 inches or so set-back from the face of the fence. You could also bolt rails to the posts and put your pickets onto that, it would give you the additional thickness of the rails.

Sponsored Links
hi, i have bough a few of those metposts that bolt to concrete, i have going to concrete these in, depth is limited to 4 inches on the path side, but i will be digging a hole of about 1 foot the other side. i am going to use the fence post stuff from wickes. i am only making a 3ft high picket fence so i believe this will be strong enough to keep it upright.

thanks for all of the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back