What constitutes a verandah?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just read another topic on here (link below) which has caused me to re-read the planning portal guidance in respect of outbuildings.

So my question is:

If I have a raised deck (not exceeding 30cm height and not exceeding any other criteria which would necessitate PP) and then build a shed on top, am I precluded from having some of the total deck open?

For example, if my deck is, say, 10m long by 3m wide and I then build a shed measuring 10m long by 2m wide on it, does the 'excess' become a verandah and then bring into play PP etc.??

Just wondering because of the helpful advice given on the other thread (started a new topic so as not to incur the wrath of the regulars on here)

Thanks for any advice.

B

//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/playhouse-height-in-garden.436064/

Sponsored Links
Development is cumulative, and this stops people building a bit at a time to get something which may otherwise not be permitted.

Your deck is development, adding to it results development with a raised deck which would require formal planning permission.

Thanks woody.

That answers my question.

Oh well....back to the drawing board...

:)

But what are the chances of this attracting the attention of planners?

Even if so, there are options for making the open deck separate from the shed.

Sponsored Links
Never say never woody....I wouldn't want to have to pull it down.

Appreciate there are alternative options.

Just glad I read that other post and found the answer.

Cheers again.

B

In this situation I doubt that th e decking would become a verandah because it isn't high enough.. It would remain as decking and serve the shed. While these terms aren't defined explicitly, it's clear the intent of the legal provision is to prevent raised platforms because it also mentions balconies (and raised platforms)

If it were a verandah it could realise the somewhat ridiculous situation that a disabled access ramp qualifies as one..

another point to note
if you are building on the decking you reduce the maximum shed height iff close to the boundary

Thanks fellas

I was already aware of the rules about height of deck and height of shed. In both respects, the heights will be within the permitted maxima.

I may well build it so that it is easier to re-instate a small gap in case of any issues.

Thanks again,

B

as long as you realize its from the natural ground level the shed covers not the decking

Yep. Measured from ground level and not from deck.

Cheers,

B

great really pleased you've sussed it out
a shame to get into trouble through a miss understanding

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back