What counts as a "simular matirial" for a PD exten

The existing house is white pebble dash. Ideally I would prefer a brick finish on the whole house but I have been told by several people that removing the pebble dash might expose damaged brick or indeed even damage the brick in the removal process - is that a view shared here?

So if I don't render the new extension then I could get an enforcement action requiring me to render it, although I take on board the comment about 'taking my time to render it'?

Sounds like I need not pay attention to the design either as its the "'materials" that will be concerning the council more as long as the the size etc meets PD rules.

Sponsored Links
The quality of the brickwork(assuming it is brickwork) behind pebbledash is likely to be poor unless it was exposed brickwork before, there's no point doing quality masonry only to slap pebbledash all over it.

Completely agree with Freddiemerc' hacking off old render is a thankless task & bricks likely will be shabby afterwards. Then you will have cost of re-render. I'm not keen on cement render but there are other considerations; are you in a terrace / semi detached, are they also rendered or is yours the only one? If all rendered then you may as well remain in keeping with local appearances & render your extension - put up with 10 or 15 year maintenance painting (unless coloured render). If yours the only one then maybe you could hack off & attempt to restore brickwork... then your extens. can be brick.
Despite current brick shortages there are tons of brick types/sizes/colours/textures available & you might well find a close match - it just requires patience! Search online? We're lucky with a brick match co. very nearby. Flat roof should be no prob unless you're in conservation or sensitive area. The country is FULL of flat roof extensions! Some it must be said are not pretty or appropriate which is where I agree with DOHdesigns - sometimes the end result will be MUCH nicer with pitched roof & tiles

Hi all - below is a picture of the rear of my house at present.

Your point is valid regarding the type of bricks previously used, I didnt consider if they were good or cheap with the purposes of it being rendered over. What would you all personally do, have a nice looking brick exposed extension against a rendered existing house or fully rendered extension?

What is a nice example of a good flat roof extension? Because one aspect of my rear extension will be 8m deep (the part coming off the balcony (which we will lose) wall and then another 4m extension coming off the rear reception room to create an almost wrap around extension.

The idea is to get to an end project that will look something like this (the image depicts a part PD and eventual planning application for complete wrap around).

Sponsored Links
Any further comment after my last few points, appreciated.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back