What do I need for a garage personnel door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a personnel door for a garage, this is an external entrance as opposed to one which connects a house and garage.

A merchant has quoted £800 + for a steel door - this, I think is overkill - high security is not necessary I just want a cheap solution. I was thinking of an external plastic door for example?

Structural opening; 855mm
47mm frame each side
So 760mm door needed.
Door height 1980mm
Right hand hung - opening out.

Sponsored Links
If you don't mind people stealing your tools and car, you don't need a high security solution.

On my garage I have internally operated bolts on the up and over, and the personal door is a solid panelled hardwood door, same as my front and back doors, with a BS mortice lock.

Both doors have sensors on the home alarm system, and chime when opened.

Power tools and other stuff in garages are popular targets for thieves.
If you have a nice bike someone will have it.

A plastic door will cost more and be less secure.

Well this is actually for parents garage, they don't have a massive amount of valuables in the Garage and I think the door that is on there at the moment is some kind of hollow core.

The problem is that the weather causes that door to expand/contract and therefore it is always getting stuck - hence needs replacing.

Would this expansion/contraction occur with a hardwood door?

A exterior door and frame with threshold supplied from your local timber yard is a good start, Framed, braced and ledged door is fairly standard , fit a 5 lever mortice lock with BS No,stay out of the sheds they will fill you up with nonsence and shoddy goods,a good local,recomended carpenter will do it all for you stress free.there is nothing worse than turning up to a door fitting job when the well meaning client has been shopping at the sheds,and been advised by the experts on the best buy.

Sponsored Links
I would guess it's a builder or joiner who makes his living selling rubbishy plastic doors to people who don't know better, and carts away their old ones.

It's great to pay good money to replace a good wooden door with a bad plastic one :rolleyes:

Thats great to hear I'm not the last person on the planet that hates plastic that's not just bacause their woblly lot of old rubbish,they are so ugly, I don't know why all the classic proportiones are ignored, thats not the fault of plastic, that's the designers gift to the world, where do they come from ?

A good quality solid hardwood door can be bought for under a £100.

I fit a new side door to my garage and it was all in for £250 for door, frame, Yale BS mortice lock, heavy duty hinges and some Sikkens to treat it. It's very heavy and solid.

Whilst i agree that structurally speaking a solid wood door beats placcy hands down, maintenance issues mean placcy doors win every time.

Let's no lose sight of the op's aim and that is to put a reasonably priced door into an opening. He ain't looking for fort knox and he emphasises that the existing door is a maintenance problem, i.e. expansion and contraction.

A placcy door will open and close.

A placcy door will lock.

A placcy door can have a panel of glass in it.

A placcy door will not need painting to prevent ex - con problems.

A placcy door will bow and warp worst than a wooden door, it'll suffer from awful droppage from those awful hinges.

In the end, you'll not get a good seal. With a good quality hardwood door that's been planed where necessary and treated well, there'll be sod all maintenance to do. I've got two placcy doors and one hardwood door and let me tell you, sir, those placcy doors are going! ;)

A placcy door will bow and warp worst than a wooden door, it'll suffer from awful droppage from those awful hinges.
No it won't.

In the end, you'll not get a good seal. With a good quality hardwood door that's been planed where necessary and treated well, there'll be s** all maintenance to do. I've got two placcy doors and one hardwood door and let me tell you, sir, those placcy doors are going! ;)
They have already had a wood door and it failed.

No it won't.

It bloody will. They're awful and can have the panels booted out.

In the end, you'll not get a good seal. With a good quality hardwood door that's been planed where necessary and treated well, there'll be s** all maintenance to do. I've got two placcy doors and one hardwood door and let me tell you, sir, those placcy doors are going! ;)
They have already had a wood door and it failed.

Not a very good one then. Get a good one and it'll out perform the plastic tack.

No it won't.

It bloody will. They're awful and can have the panels booted out.
No it won't, I must be unique in that I've never had a plastic door bow on me. Or is this some kind of secret epidemic in the industry that your are not telling us about? Or is it really that you just don't like plastic doors?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back