What do you recommend to prepare mouldy surfaces

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought an 80s flat to renovate and there is a fair bit of mould spotting and discolouration due to condensation in corners etc. It's mostly all on painted plaster board walls.

Thanks for some advice on it

Sponsored Links
Mould spores need to be killed off before redecorating. You can do this with a proprietary fungicidal wash (follow instructions) or a mild bleach solution (a cupful in a bucket of warm water is plenty), then rinse off well and allow to dry fully.

When redecorating, you can use an emulsion with mould protection or an acrylic eggshell, either of which will stand up to further mould issues far better than regular emulsions. They key to solving the issue though is to ensure good airflow into corners and behind furniture. As this is not always possible, dehumidifiers can be used for major problems or disposable moisture traps for minor ones.

Thanks for reply

I had wondered if there was a particular product but if some bleach would do the job I guess that'd be fine. I've got some aclyric eggshell, Im guessing I could paint it on the affected corners before emulsioning

Yes, I wish I could be around to ensure people let fresh air circulate well but unfortunately a lot of people seem determined to live in a sealed environment!

Sponsored Links
Hello Mr H.

Keeping well I hope.

Dec

I'm keeping well but pretty cold after my recent relocation. The weather here is a little too chilly for most people to think about decorating (was -30°C two weeks ago!), so I have a few spare minutes now and then to post on here.

Hope you are keeping well too.

Cheers
mrH :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back