What does this mark mean?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if anyone can clarify this. There's an electrical water heating appliance in the loo. As you can see in the picture in the link below there's an earth symbol above a screw next to the power cable. Presumably the appliance is earthed through the main cable so does anyone know what this extra earth is for? Supplemental bonding perhaps?
(Link below)

Many thanks for any ideas.
Reg

Sponsored Links
It's an earth stud

It will be for cross-bonding to other pipes and circuits especially if in a bathroom, or the the Manufacturer's Instructions require it.

Note that Supplementary Bonding in a bathroom has to be 4mm cable, so the cable in the flex will not be big enough.

If it is in a room which does not contain a bath, shower, etc then you are not required to Supplementary Bond.

Sponsored Links
Correct me if I am wrong.

I thought that the Supplementary bonding can be less than the 4mm, provided that the earth core is an integral part of the supply flex to the heater, AND it is wired through a fuse-connection unit, NOT a socket outlet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back