What equipment is needed to pick up european satelllite?

E

Essex84

Evening, I am sure this is a common thread but I have just about had it with the robbing basta**s we know as SKY!

I will be cancelling my sky subscription, I will be signing up with Netflix and am looking for an option for my sports. So I am wondering what is available and what will I need to receive some foreign channels.

I am told a 60cm dish, can I use my sky plus box as a receiver to put a foreign viewing card in? Be great full if someone can guide me in the right direction. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
My son-in-law wanted to watch Turkish TV but the only way was to take his box to a friend tune it in and then return home and move dish until he got a signal. Without doing this or getting some one with the expensive boxes it is hard to find the programs.

Also having right box is important one which can mix signals from multi dishes or move the dish. Using old sky box there is a limit to how many non sky channels can be tuned in and you need to know all the info can't do self tune like with free to air.

I do not mind buying a new dish and receiver box but just need to know what it is I need. I know for a fact you do not have to take boxes away to be tuned. I just need to know what box to buy and what is the best viewing card

This will give you all your answers http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/channels.htm

TBH though, if you want to ditch the Sky costs then either have a look at Freesat and Freeview, or drop me a private message for a solution that's a little unorthodox but might be right up your street ;)

Sponsored Links
I know for a fact you do not have to take boxes away to be tuned.
You missed the point. IF you tune in your receiver on a dish that's already aligned to the correct satellite, it will be much easier to ascertain when you've aligned your dish on the same satellite. It's not essential but it helps.

A more detailed answer depends on which sports you want to watch. Once you've determined that, you can look at the listings for the various satellites to determine which transponder on which satellite might transmit what you want (if any). Then you have to determine which programme provider it is and what are his requirements in terms of receiver and subscription. Some require a dedicated receiver (same as Sky does) and card. Some allow you to use a general purpose receiver with suitable CAM to take the card.

Easiest solution is to list the channels you want then ask on all the forums to see whether anyone is already receiving them - and how. (Obviously the commentary is unlikely to be in English.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back