What fittings do I need for surface water drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can give me some advice on the following.

I have had an extension built and now need to connect downpipes to soakaways which I will dig. As the pipework is running to a soakaway I dont think I will need to fit a trap but not sure so...

Do I need to use traps at the base of the downpipes or can I just use rest bends?

Some people sell rest bends with double sockets, is this OK or should I use single sockets or doesn't it matter?

What depth should the pipes at the house end be?

How far should the pipe poke into the soak away?

It is going to be a rubble filled soak away, should I lay a membrane over the rubble or is it OK to lay soil/turf straight over the top?

Any advise would be greatly received, thank you.

Sponsored Links
I hope someone can give me some advice on the following.

I have had an extension built and now need to connect downpipes to soakaways which I will dig. As the pipework is running to a soakaway I dont think I will need to fit a trap but not sure so...

Do I need to use traps at the base of the downpipes or can I just use rest bends?

No traps needed.

Some people sell rest bends with double sockets, is this OK or should I use single sockets or doesn't it matter?

Doesn't matter.

What depth should the pipes at the house end be?

Doesn't matter.

How far should the pipe poke into the soak away?

Doesn't really matter. 300mm inside or somewhere near the middle would be fine.

It is going to be a rubble filled soak away, should I lay a membrane over the rubble or is it OK to lay soil/turf straight over the top?

Membrane.

Any advise would be greatly received, thank you.

We always use (rodable) trapped bottle gullies at the bottom of the rwp drops, as it will prolong the life of the pipe and the soakaway.

The accepted minimum cover on storm/sewer pipes is 300mm.

We always use (rodable) trapped bottle gullies at the bottom of the rwp drops, as it will prolong the life of the pipe and the soakaway.

The accepted minimum cover on storm/sewer pipes is 300mm.

Does that mean that you extend the pipe out of the top of the gullies or that the side outlet of the gullies is 300mm down from the top already. Lots of images of the bottle gullies show that the outlet is really close to the top.

Sponsored Links
If B.C. wanted to be picky they would suggest a minimum of 300mm cover, however it is rare that Jack.F. ever effects the pipes even when they are less than 300mm.

Noseall's advice is wise, clean gulley out on a regular basis to prevent silt/muck washing down into soakaway and blocking it up. (Bottle gulley's are easier to clean out IMO.) You can obtain 'Risers' to extend height between gulley and grid, or fit the gulley at the appropriate level, then use a couple of 45 ° bends to 'dogleg' the pipework to required depth. (Bear in mind the deeper the pot, the more awkward to clean out!)

Bed gulley on some concrete, then haunch it round to hold gulley in position prior to backfilling. If shallow pipework looks like it may be vulnerable then some more concrete over the top to protect it is advisable.

If B.C. wanted to be picky they would suggest a minimum of 300mm cover, however it is rare that Jack.F. ever effects the pipes even when they are less than 300mm.
Again , Nose gives good advice - I had a problem where my drains were laid to a very shallow fall , and blocking . Nose said 1:80 would work - it certainly has , I relaid them and the pipes are about 50 mm under a concrete path , he`s right about the frost too ;) . There won`t be any inspectors round here , not in my lifetime/occupation anyway . Did I mention the interceptor I removed too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back