What is Mains gas off the national grid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Im trying to find out what kind of gas comes trough our homes on the national grid
propane butane or natural gas est.

Many thanks
AHC

Sponsored Links
Thanks
The reason I asked as im thinking of doing a gas conversion on my cas and thought i could use the gas from the main grid
But the gas conversion kit is for propane not methane so it dont look like it will work

you want to use natural gas on your car? there are many reasons why that won't work.

Sponsored Links
Nickso,actually it does work and its possible.Its used all over the world and is called CNG instead of LPG,they actually have cng filling stations where natural gas is compressed at point

The funniest site i saw at one was petrol guzzler the Range Rover Vogue SE pulling up to have tank of CNG !!! why bother i was thinking :LOL: :LOL:

I have never heard of this in england and the health and safety implications would never allow this to happen

that was my point.

an engine can be made to run on pretty much anything but as usual anything that may be of use to the consumer is about 20 years too late in this country. the state of automotive LPG in this country is a testament to that.

There are some haulage companies who use CNG....The disadvantage of CNG in cars is that the storage tanks are very heavy steel and are bound in carbon fibre to prevent an explosion in the event of a colision

Autogas list 215 retail locations for LPG refuelling
http://www.autogas.ltd.uk/whereToBuyMap.htm

30 CNG filling stations of which only 12 are fast-fill stations accessible by the general public (some of which require the setting up of an account)
http://www.whatgreencar.com/cng.php[/QUOTE]

seems it would be pointless then if they don't develop the home filling kit.

would be interesting if they did however as it would be easy for us RGI's to set it up. the only cost then is the car kit, the governments/installers slice if you don't fit it yourself and the usual agony of finding an insurer if you do fit it yourself.

would be interesting to see what the prices would be compared to LPG.

This is nothing to do with the UK being 20 years out of date - it is to do with physics.

LPG is Liquified Petroleum Gas, butane or propane. These gases can exist as liquid at normal temperatures if they are compressed. The liquid boils off in the cylinder to become gas again. [Butane ceases to do this around freezing point.]

CNG is Compressed Natural Gas, methane. This [the same as oxygen] cannot exist as liquid without refrigerating to a much lower temperature as well as compressing it. You are therefore storing gas at very high pressures which needs very heavy cylinders. You can't store much mass of gas in these cylinders.

Its the tax put on petrol which makes these taxless alternatives more interesting.

However, if any were much used then the gov woudl add all the tax!

Tony

This is nothing to do with the UK being 20 years out of date - it is to do with physics.

LPG is Liquified Petroleum Gas, butane or propane. These gases can exist as liquid at normal temperatures if they are compressed. The liquid boils off in the cylinder to become gas again. [Butane ceases to do this around freezing point.]

CNG is Compressed Natural Gas, methane. This [the same as oxygen] cannot exist as liquid without refrigerating to a much lower temperature as well as compressing it. You are therefore storing gas at very high pressures which needs very heavy cylinders. You can't store much mass of gas in these cylinders.

it has everything to being 20 years out of date. my family had an LPG car in europe in 1982. LPG has its drawbacks but its us a nation that is behind.

Its the tax put on petrol which makes these taxless alternatives more interesting.

However, if any were much used then the gov woudl add all the tax!

Tony

that could be the beauty of self filling NG at your home though. you have already paid the tax and wild fluctuations are less likely. sadly the way NG gas prices are going in general its maybe not be worth it.

Nickso has chosen to ignore the point - which is that CNG can't be stored as a liquid, and you therefore can't store enough for road vehicle use.

This is physics - not out-of-date politics.

Nickso has chosen to ignore the point - which is that CNG can't be stored as a liquid, and you therefore can't store enough for road vehicle use.

This is physics - not out-of-date politics.

i haven't ignored anything. your point wasn't well made.

perhaps you need to read this in any case.

http://www.whatgreencar.com/cng.php

takes up space but is possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back