What is minimum compressive strength of domestic mortar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Building inspector has just been round & it turns out that the builder who knocked thru' our kitchen/diner has not sat the RSJ on a "padstone" (engineering bricks would suffice according to the inspector) as per the engineer's specification.

The stress under the beam is very low = 0.66 N/mm2

My husband is a civil engineer, but does not deal with domestic materials.

He reckons that it could be reasoned that the steel beam bearing on a suitable mortar layer will be sufficient. Whilst we do not know exactly how strong average building mortar should be, we think it should be stronger than 1MPa?

Sponsored Links
Bricklaying mortar is in the range 3.6 to 6.5 MPa (28 day strength) so it would have to be pretty poor to be 1MPa.

I am extremely relieved/grateful to read that range of figures. My house sale could fall thru' if I don't have this work signed off pronto.

If the factored load gives a stress as low as 0.66N/mm^2, you wouldn't need a padstone, even with the lowest-strength brick in rubbish mortar. The beam can't be supporting very much.

Sponsored Links
The padstones for the RSJ that supported the firstfloor on my knockthrough was specified as 'no padstone' - the idea being that it could bear directly on to 3.6N lightweight block. I put it on a couple of 7N blocks just to make sure anyway, but the point being, no padstones isn't necessarily a disaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back