What is this? Metal bar across window opening internally

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I viewed a flat for sale and I noticed in one room a metal bar across the interior of the window opening which puzzled me. It didn't look strong enough to be structural/reinforcing, but didn't seem to be anything to do with the window/blinds and being a bit ugly I wondered if it was a sign of some reinforcement having been done. The other windows in the flat don't have this as they are french windows. Looking at photos of another flat in the block it also has one of these in one room. The wall outside is brick and opens onto a balcony (so it's not a bar to stop people falling out of the window!). Any ideas would be great! Thanks!!! The picture is here

Sponsored Links
It could be a safety bar to stop children climbing onto the window board.

Andy

Thanks for the idea! I thought of it but it looked to me like it would help any kids climbing rather than stopping them! I'm fairly sure the windows open outwards so wouldn't work to stop them being opened too far. Also outside the window is a solid balcony. Falling out of that window would only be like falling out of a ground floor window.

I would assume as mentioned a retaining bar to prevent children and others falling out. But please remember generally these bars should be vertical as correctly pointed out they become a ladder/climbing frame.

Sponsored Links
Not wanting to sound horrible, but the load spread there looks less than adequate. Hence most if not all using the "hook" method to dig into the wall. A single bar bolted at each end looks a bit flimsy to me. What fixings are being used?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back