What is this render?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone tell me what kind of render this is?

It looks fairly dated and sad, with some flaking and generally not great condition. Is patching up a possibility, or if we had the cash would stripping and re-applying be the best route?

Getting water ingress into the ceiling of the porch, and presume it's because the render isn't doing its job. Or would leaking imply something wrong with the brickwork underneath?

View media item 87886
View media item 87885
View media item 87887

Sponsored Links
Its a painted dry dash.

Put pics of the porch up.

Looking again it looks like painted tyrolean on top of dry dash :confused:

Sponsored Links
Nothing is really a "bad thing" if it works - and your double render is not working.

Whether the top coat is dash or Tyrolean i must defer to others more experienced than me. What is sure, is that the top coat was applied to an unprepared surface and probably never quite "stuck".

The "tile" string course borders on "i dont believe it" - the tile is a water trap, holding water thats destroying the tile, and going up the render by capillary action. Its probably the cause of the porch leaks, and i'm surprised that you dont report more interior damp?

Stripping the outer coat and replacing it with a modern synthetic render (including insulation if it can be afforded) would possibly work - depending on the bed coat condition? A S&C fillet could be formed on the tiles and lead flashing run over it.

The spalling window sill requires mending or replacing, and all the window openings (& possibly the door openings) need hood drip mouldings to be fixed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back