What is this?

Sponsored Links
Suspect it could be an old septic tank/cesspit. 4" collar may have been for an air vent. If it's now redundant I would get it emptied and fill the hole in. Anything/anyone unfortunate enough to fall in is unlikely to get out again. :eek:

Sponsored Links
It's in the garden of the place I rent, builders have started work on the property behind mine, and opened it up, looks like they are laying 4" pipe to it. I don't think we are on main drains here, wonder what the best way is to check?

If so I can get reduced water rates, the fact it's so remote I guess that's why I'm thinking it may be in use.

Follow your drains and see where they go, there will be a manhole cover or two on the drive, in the front of the house etc. if it goes towards the road.

Nope nothing at all, not a sing manhole to be seen, no road near here either. It's down an off road track on an old farm

When you flush the loo in your cottage, does anything appear in that tank?
If you are not on mains drains (the local authority will tell you) then you'll have your own septic tank somewhere.
John :)

If the place is as remote as it sounds then there will be a septic tank or cesspit somewhere. Mains drainage simply wouldn't be cost effective (or feasible) to provide for 1 or 2 properties.

Any property not connected to mains drainage should not be charged for sewerage by the Water Co. (I'd check to make sure though!) :eek:

Its possible its part of an septic tank system, there are two tanks, solids go into the first, water rises to an overflow level into a second tank where its filtered, then rises to overflow level into a pipe which discharges into a ditch.

As it sounds a remote location I suspect the septic tank is in use check with neighbours or owner of property as to when the solids were last cleaned out.
I would also check if its in order for the builder to connect into the tank, if its not a shared septic tank with the other property

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back