What is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question as to what the black cable is? (lined by the red) It's obviously small and goes outside and down the wall into the ground.

We don't have a garage or anything so can't be providing power to an external building.

elec.jpg
[/img]

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
The end we can see is connected to the incoming Neutral in the cut out (the grey box), The Neutral is also the "earth" in a PME installation.

If the other end goes into the ground then best guess is that the wire goes to a ground rod to add an additional grounding point to the Neutral, This re-inforces the Earth function of the Neutral

PME = Protective Multiple Earth, this wire seems to add one more to the multiple earths.

Thanks!

Haven't moved in this house long, and just looking all round at things, saw it and was like. What is that?

Thanks for shedding some light on it for me.

It is unusual to see a pme connection to ground at the cutout. I wonder if it is because there is only one other connection that being at the tx so this one makes it multiple earthing. Perhaps westie can shed some light on this?

Sponsored Links
For some reason the Service Fuse Unit has been installed upside down in the picture.....

There is a heavy black cable at the top- does it feed a neighbour etc??

For some reason the Service Fuse Unit has been installed upside down in the picture.....

There is a feed to our conservatory, could the heavy cable be for that?

I've seen cut outs installed in every orientation you could imagine. It really doesn't matter. The cable comes in from above so an upside down cutout makes sense.

It is unusual to see a pme connection to ground at the cutout. I wonder if it is because there is only one other connection that being at the tx so this one makes it multiple earthing. Perhaps westie can shed some light on this?
Yes it is

I wonder if the MalecoUKs property is out in the country and is the only one fed from a transformer, perhaps that could be confirmed by MalecoUK.

If that is the case it could actually be a PNB supply with the PME label being semi-incorrectly applied, I say semi as the bonding would be similar in the two cases

Yes it is

I wonder if the MalecoUKs property is out in the country and is the only one fed from a transformer, perhaps that could be confirmed by MalecoUK.

If that is the case it could actually be a PNB supply with the PME label being semi-incorrectly applied, I say semi as the bonding would be similar in the two cases

Not out in the country no, urban setting in a cul-de-sac :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back