What kind of lock am I after?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Exterior door, already has two deadlocks, but one of the problems with deadlocks is that they're not very convenient for casual use - i.e. when one wants to just close the door in a way that you'd need a key from the outside but not from the inside.

The classic solution to this on normal doors is, of course, the "yale" lock - which is just a catch.

uPVC doors tend to be a little more sophisticated, and although the "key to open from outside, handle sufficient on the inside" concept is still valid, the locks sometimes combine with deadlock functionality.

I bought a sash lock - which has a handle and a deadlock in the same unit - slightly by mistake. I was somehow hoping that this would give a moderately secure yale-style "shut and go" solution suitable for popping out, while offering a "push the handle up and use the key" for something more secure, and then allowing auxiliary chubb-style deadlocks for maximum security.

Is it possible for me to buy an alternative lock mechanism that has the same centres as the sashlock, which would work in a more Yaley way?

Thinking about it, I'd probably settle for something where the euro-cylinder has a knob on one side and key-hole on the other.

FWIW, the sash lock was something like this:
ESB5025SSS.jpg

Sponsored Links
you can buy a euro-cylinder which has a knob on one side and key-hole on the other.

The "knob" is called a thumbturn

having got the cylinder, you can fit it to any lock case which accepts a Eurocylinder.

It might not meet the requirements of your insurance co though.

There are a few Mortice Nightlatches or Mortice Locking Latches on the market, AFAIR none of them meet the BS for burglar resistant locks which your insurance co probably requires.

Is there a reason you don't just fit a rim nightlatch?

Thanks for that - particiularly for teaching me the term "nightlatch". I think rim nightlatches (classic "Yale" locks, yes?) are ugly (as Prince Charles might say, they are "monstrous carbuncles"), which is why I didn't install one of those.

The thumbturn cylinder will be fine.

I should check with insurance, but I'd have thought that the other deadlocks would be sufficient - assuming they're used (which they will be)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back