What kind of wood/timber?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just moved into a house from an apartment/flat after 11 years in relative containment - woo hoo, however i'm a garden novice

My first question is thus;

I'm creating a nice block paving area at the rear of the garden where the sun shines most frequently (naturally). However as I'm in Glasgow, it rains alot. I'm considering building a nice timber structure with part oif it enclosed.

Does anyone know what type of timber would look good, and where i'd source it. I've been to the obvious B&Q type places but seen nothing to inspire me.

A nice timber with almost a sheen would be nice. Does anyone know if places like the foresty commission sell good timber? Any help welcome

BD

Sponsored Links
Sorry I can't advise about which to use, but if you have a large saw mill company in your area I would approach them more so for price and service.
As I found out recently that they will by a large margin beat any building supplier or the likes of B&Q, Wickes, Travis Perkins & etc.

I would strongly advise you avoid having timber in contact with the ground, as it will rot and make you unhappy. Especially if you have embedded it in a great lump of concrete in the ground.

You can get metal post supports that go into, or bolt to, concrete (not the Metpost sort you hammer in, which are awful) or you can support uprights using concrete spurs. These are sold to support wooden posts that have rotted, they have two bolt holes in them. You can if you wish paint them with dark brown masonry paint so that they tone in with the stain on the timber. I can show you photos but beware Thermo who makes a handsome living out of replacing rotten fences and does not like concrete posts.

Any timber used outdoors will go dull, matt and grey unless you treat it regularly. The water-based Shed and Fence stains will give a low sheen when they are fairly new, they are very easy to apply and recoat. They leave a waxy film on the surface which repels rain. They do not prevent rot if water gets in, but the spirit-based Wood Preservatives by Cuprinol are very effective for that, and can be overpainted or stained once fully dried.

Metpost type would be ideal for this. As the structure will likely have 2 or more sides and will be largely self supporting.

Could use standard 4" square (or round?) posts, will probably be rough sawn so go at them with a sander and chamfer the edges if you want to tart them up.

Sponsored Links
The bolt-down or cast-in metal supports are OK, but the hammer-in post spikes very seldom go in true

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back