What min temp for cementing in cold weather?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a wall, and am wondering what the minimum temperature I should observe. I have erected a cover around the area to protect from rain, but will give some good frost protection. It is in a very sheltered spot, with a solid gate, and walls on 3 sides as well as the covered area above.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Some say 2 some say 4 degrees and definitely protect from frost cover your freshly laid bricks with a few layers of hessian sacking if you expect frost over night.
Frost sacking available from most builders merchants

I think it's 2 degrees on a dropping thermometer (meaning if it's getting colder) when all bricklaying should stop. ;) ;)

Brickwork. Stop working at 2degreeC on a falling thermometer.

Start work at 3degreeC on a rising thermometer.

Cover up new work every night including sand and bricks. Drain your hose, empty butt and insulate your tap.

If your bricks and sand have been covered and no ice in water butt and you joint up every four course, work until muck freezes on your trowel, but don’t say I said so. :D
oldun

Sponsored Links
Last winter, just before the Christmas break, we simply had to get two pillars of blockwork built to catch a pair of 'floating' steel purlins.

The temperature had plummeted.

We lit a brazier and stacked all the blocks around the drum.

We warmed the water over the brazier in a pail.

We built the pillars swiftly then wrapped them with loft insulation and a final wrapping of hessian sacking.

The mortar dried strong and good!

Last winter, just before the Christmas break,

We built the pillars swiftly then wrapped them with loft insulation and a final wrapping of hessian sacking.

Now down our way Nose we would have finished of with a nicely decorated sheet of Christmas wrapping paper. gold ribbon, mistletoe and holly. :rolleyes: :LOL:
Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back