What order to paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise if it is best to paint the walls or skirting boards first?
I always thought you paint the skirting boards first and come up a little higher but most things I have read say to start from the top of a room and work down.

Also any tips on how to paint the skirting and doors? Lots of masking tape??? :)

Sponsored Links
Pole sand ceiling and walls, do any making good/filling. While the filler is drying rub down the doors, frames and skirting etc and do any filling that needs doing. Rub down and prime the wall/ceiling filler, paint the ceiling.

Cut in the walls in the corners and above skirting and once you've done that the ceilings dry so cut your wall/ceiling line. Cut it all in again and roll two coats.
Then undercoat and gloss.

Thats it in a nutshell, but obviously i have to work around drying times of products and consider what repairs need doing and some fillers take longer to dry than others and caulk needs plenty of time to dry, and i'll undercoat before walls if using water based on the woodwork

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back