What paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if I could get some recommendations on paint to use.

I've bought some leyland trade matt that I'm using to mist/undercoat but not sure whether it's worth spending a lot more to get something like dulux or crown or whether to just use leyland or a cheaper paint ?

This is going to be a rental property most likely, but if I decided to live here I'd like a reasonably nice finish and prepared to pay a bit of a premium.

Also currently undercoasting a bathroom at the moment which is tiled to the walls and plastered to the ceilings. Is it necessary to use a waterproof paint to the ceilings?

Sponsored Links
Contract paints are pretty horrible, non wipeable and powdery. IMO the best paint is little green intellimatt, washable (handy for a rental) and very durable with excellent flat finish, more expensive than crown, dulux etc but more value for money.
Use acrylic eggshell on your bathroom ceiling, contract matt would be a very poor choice for any room subjected to moisture.

Hi dcdec, I went with a cheap leyland contract matt for a mist coat (I deliberately didn't water it down because I was worried about adding to much water and have it splatter everywhere, as the walls are tiled I wanted to limit the splash damage, so just painted it on as a primer/undercoat.

I looked at the paint you mentioned but couldn't find the brand in walk-in stores, only on the internet so because of the convenience I chose a crown mould-guard brilliant white emulsion for the bathroom

http://www.diy.com/rooms/crown-kitc...lliant-white-emulsion-paint-25l/125841_BQ.prd

They had an offer on 3 for £30.

I've applied one coat of matt and going to apply 2 coats of this crown, is that right?

Once bathrooms/kitchens have been done I'm going to re-consider the intellimatt for the walls to bedrooms, hallways, etc.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi dcdec, I went with a cheap leyland contract matt for a mist coat (I deliberately didn't water it down because I was worried about adding to much water and have it splatter everywhere, as the walls are tiled I wanted to limit the splash damage, so just painted it on as a primer/undercoat.

If you did not dilute it, it was not a mist coat. Did you paint the undiluted paint onto bare plaster?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back