What primer after wallpaper!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am removing wallpaper from a HUGE area (including ceilings :( )....7 rooms! I have never done it before but I was told that the real issue is the glue left behind (yes! I want to paint after removing). I also understand that after washing away most of the glue I should prime/seal the wall to avoid issues later on. I have worked out that I will need approximately 20Lt of paint for 1 coat so I guess I would need the same quantity for the primer/sealer. Is this economically viable or am I looking at a ridiculous cost? More importantly, can anyone suggest what product I should use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If there is paint under the wallpaper, you shouldn't need primer. If it's bare plaster, just a mist coat (after removing all glue).

Thanks....what worries me is the washing off of all the glue first from such a huge area.....I was told to use sugar soap...right?

Get as much as you can off warm water and a scraper, then sugar soap the walls. Once dry, you can often check for residue by looking from different angles, so that the light catches any remnants.

I've only done a few rooms with wallpaper, but that has been my approach.

Sponsored Links
Scrape off the glue with a wide scraper and give it a coat of gardz.

Whasing walls with sponge and sugar soap sounds like a killer job...I am dealing with 7 rooms, including ceilings!

I'm wondering if there is a quicker method!.....I mean before I apply Grandz.

OK...cool! So I should skip the sugar soap step completely! I guess I would need to make sure wall is perfectly smooth before applying Gardz...as in after filling and sanding!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back