What primer, undercoat to use for front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have searched the forums and found that after I have sanded down my front door, i should use an oil based primer, undercoat then some red gloss paint.

Firstly is this correct and secondly what makes of primer\undercoat should I use and can I get something that does both?

I am only doing my front door so dont want to buy too much.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Is the door open to the elements or in a porch?

If the latter then a WB finish might be ok, it will dry much faster but you need to make sure that you don't drop below the minimum recommended temperature at this time of the year (10 deg C) for the Dulux Trade weathershield WB gloss. the OB version doesn't mention a min temperature.

If you do go down the OB path then add some Terebene to speed up curing times. You might also need Owatrol (not cheap), OB paints become really thick when the temperature is low, Owatrol will help it flow.

It is under a small porch (75 cm ish) so has some protection from the elements.

What make of OB primer and gloss would you recommend?

Sponsored Links
http://www.sandtextrade.co.uk/Products/Documents/FlexiglossXtraSystem.pdf

Sandtex FlexiGloss is the one of the darlings of the trade at the moment. Use their primer/uc with it.

Bofore 2010 I would have recommended Dulux trade Weathershield but it is crap now.

Sikkens AZ gloss is also highly recommended.

Provided that the door seldom gets wet and not too much in the way of bright sun light then you might get away with standard Dulux trade Gloss which will be cheaper. If you go for an eggshell finish then make sure that it is suitable for exteriors, many aren't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back