what "sheet" material should I make my Garden shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
I'm looking to make an additional 8'x10' shed in my garden.

I already have a couple of sheds, well, one 20'x10' workshop I designed and built 10 years ago and one "Billy-Oh" 8'x10' "shed" I bought from Garden Building Direct not so long ago. I bought the "Billy-Oh" kit as I wanted a quick and cheap unit to keep the garden stuff in - WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WAS - I was so disgusted with the terrible quality of the wood and workmanship and the amount of money I spent making it structurally sound - I'm not going to get another of those.

So I need to build need to build another as cheaply as possible.

The appearance of it won't matter as it'll be nestled between my "Billy-Oh" and my Workshop with only 9" each side and about 15" to a 6' high fence at the back, and what with the roof overhang I don't think much "weather" is going to get to it's sides and back. Also as it will be so close to the other buildings I'm going to have to prefabricate & finish the sides and ends before I construct it.

As I said I don't want to spend much so what's the best type of sheet material to use, I know exterior grade ply would be a good bet but are there cheaper options. I've looked at OSB3 but could spend the price difference to ply in waterproofing paint.

Suggestions please

Many Thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
In my experience, there is so much wood involved when building sheds, its just as cheap to go and buy one then but the wood and make it yourself.

I personally used some 20mm x 150mm lengths of wood for the sides, and used chipboard for the floor and roof.

The roof was finished with roofing felt.

this worked fine for my needs.

however you could use 18mm OSB for the roof which would be stronger then plywood.

I personally would not trouble yourself unless you have the wood provided free of charge.

otherwise I would buy a plastic shed... it never rots and doesn't need painted.

In my experience, there is so much wood involved when building sheds, its just as cheap to go and buy one then but the wood and make it yourself.

Yep, that's why I bought the last one, but it was so flimsy with joints every 3' . After I lined it with 11mm OSB the saving was not that much in the end.

I would buy a plastic shed... it never rots and doesn't need painted.

Hmmm good point, only the front will be seen - I'll look into that, but I don't think I can get a 10'x8' plastic shed

Given that looks aren't important on the sides how about reclaimed plywood or even reclaimed corrugated tin or bitumen sheets?

Sponsored Links
Have you thought about used coldstore panels? They work out at around £10 - £15 sq m usually, depending on thickness and condition, but sometimes you can pick them up for next to nothing. Try looking on ebay. Hope this helps.

Why not build it up to the existing sheds and fence at the back, that way you only need a roof and a front wall!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back