What should I pay for an architect and structural engineer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to make a mini extension (only about 1 sq. m) and put in some double doors to the garden on a house I'm about to buy.

I've been trying to arrange for an architect to draw up plans which I can submit to the council and provide the builder with. We don't need to apply for planning permission but we do have to submit a plan to the council.

The architect's estimates say it will be upwards of £1500 and then there will be a structural engineer's fee on top of that. Is this realistic or are they having a laugh? I really have no experience in this but I didn't expect it to cost this much. Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Well it depends who you approach and how your estimate was arrived at. A commercial architect will charge £80/hr+ a one man band architectural technician (that's probably what you need rather than an architect) will be a lot less. Who can say if an SE is required or not, too little information.

If you intend doing this on a 'Notice' then if all they are asking for is a location plan then you can download one yourself off the web for about £20. Any builder who needs drawings for a 1m² extension should be avoided at all cost unless its some peculiar extension.

rather confusing u dont need planning perm so i assume its perm dev , why would the council require plans. look for a competant bulder&possible building notice. and get a quote. ive been building all my life and now using my experience n with CAD submitting drawings for planning and regs my fee is 300£ but i have to rely ion the client supplying all the relevant details via email in fact it`s all done electronically plans forms all of it . no paperwork any more unless theclient or builder wants them all tthe documentation is sentt in PDF format

Sponsored Links
Back