what size armoured cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am looking to upgrade my 6 ml armoured cable for heavier duty to my new pond filter house, i need to run a cable about 45 meters to reach its destination, i have to run the following

1 x 9kw heater
1 x 8kw heater
3 x 130 watt pumps
2 x 55watt UV lights
4 x 20 watt air pumps
1 X 500 watt spot light
2 x 150 watt low wattage lighting transformers with lights
sockets for drills etc

i later want to add to this feed another summer house next door with hot tub, lights fittings etc.

i allready have a hundred amp circuit with all equip ready wired onto breakers but have had to limit what is running at any one time as its only 6mil supply,

This is currently running from a mains splitter box into the main building, running to a seperate meter in the garage next to the filter house,

this will need to be run direct from the 6 way supply splitter as this electric is to be charged seperatly from the main building electric

regards dave

Sponsored Links
for arguments sake, lets call the set up 18Kw.. that's 78A or there abouts..

do you intend to bathe in this pond? :D

if you haven't dug the pond yet, i highly recomend looking into ground source heat pumps burried under the pond..works like a backwards air conditioner.. takes heat out of the ground to put into the water.. ( which then seeps back into the ground.. oh the irony.. ).. uses lots less power than electric heater banks..

anyway.. for nearly 80A.. you need..16mm² armoured.. not sure if it's split con.. never used the stuff, don't know what table to look in..

you say...
this will need to be run direct from the 6 way supply splitter as this electric is to be charged seperatly from the main building electric

I sincerely hope you mean the henley block AFTER your meter??? there shouldn't be one before your meter..

if so then it will show on your bill anyway.. and without fitting a seperate meter you have no way of knowing what the pond is using..

I wonder if they do an economy 7 storage unit for pond heating???

16mm² is too small for the given load over that distance, especially as there may be more equipment added later.You need to seek the services of a competant electrician who may even suggest enquirying about a new DNO supply to the load.

the splitter is a double pole six way connection box 100amp

yes this is before the meter with another meterin the out buildings that this supplies

Sponsored Links
i later want to add to this feed another summer house next door with hot tub, lights fittings etc.

This will add another 50+Amps

I think you need to speak to DNO about a new supply

We don't know what the max demand is on main building but the what your adding is way over 100A

solar.. you'd best let the DNO install the cable and second ( third? ) meter as putting anything on their side of the meter may be seen as an atempt to steal electricity..

it's HIGHLY unusual for there to be a henley block before the meter as it's easy to just put the consumer unit tails straight into it and bypass the meter...

you're talking about 230A in total for your house then.. :eek:

try gas for heating maybe...?

what kind of fish are you putting in the pond? tropical..

it was late and I didn't even think about volts drop.. you get 10.08 based on 80A and 45M.. too much.. so it looks like it'll have to be 25mm²

Heating a pond? Never heard of that.

I am guessing there is a single DNO meter, and then a few provate meters by the sound of it.

This type of additional load cannot be guessed at, and throwing info around a forum is not the way forward - You need someone who knows what they are doing to come and survey for you.

The pond holds koi carp, it is the norm to heat these ponds, either by way of electric heat units similar to swimming pool heaters, or by gas using boilers and heat exchangers

I've done one heated pond supply, which was for a single 10kW heater and a few auxilary bits. That was about on the limit for an addition to the existing load on a 100A SP supply.

You really are into a new supply (maybe even TP) territory.

you don't need to heat koi ponds, they are quite happy with colder water, and it's even helpfull if you breed them..

Koi, particularly mature specimens, appear to benefit from a cold period as it re-sets their biological clock, preparing it to breed in the spring as the daylength and temperature begin to increase.

The pond holds koi carp, it is the norm to heat these ponds, either by way of electric heat units similar to swimming pool heaters, or by gas using boilers and heat exchangers
If it weren't for the fact that your insanity is going to affect everyone else, (can you say Global Warming?) I'd just scoff at your insanity and hope you enjoy your high electricity bills.

But as it is going to affect everybody else, it's not just insanity, it's dangerous, ignorant and selfish insanity, and I'm not going to let that pass by without making it clear how I feel.

If particular pets can't be kept in this country without burning fuel just for them then they are the wrong sort of pets for this country and should not be kept.

You do not have the right to destroy the world in order to keep a few pet fish warm.

some of us cant understand the need for such a big supply.cant you tone it down a little?

i havent heard of a heated koi pond before,not saying it doesnt happen,but i used to fish a six acre lake down in the colne valley with plenty of koi in it.the biggest one just nudged 30lb before spawning with an average size of 20lb for the other fish,they have never had heated water(except for the warmer months).

i have seen the effect heated water(from sunlight)has on all fish species,especially carp and it makes them lifeless and listless and is very uncomfortable for them.too warm water will cause a massive oxygen crash which will kill all the fish.can you not shield the pond from cold weather?

obviously i approached this answer from afish welfare point of view and not an electrical one,but all species of carp can survive in freezing temperatures no problem even 4oz fingerlings right up to englands biggest carp two tone at sixty five pounds :eek:

all fish species will use their own biological clocks and natural changes in temperature to know when to breed on there own,they do not need intervention from humans.concentrate instead,on improving the biomass of your pond,provide as natural a habitat as possible.their welfare goes before any need to breed

Well I think BAS has a good point. Although I personally think global warming is an unproven fact I do think that wasting all that gas at a power station to keep some pretty boring pets warm beggars belief. Earths resources are finite and if everyone takes his view ''I won't have an effect'' then we'll drain the earth in a generation. Still it is more important for this guy to keep his f***ing fish warm than his grandchildren in 30 years time.

didnt global warming first start in the cretaceous period approx 138 million years ago?

whatever mate,if you make a healthy living spreading KHV around the country with your force fed ornamentals ,then you dont need advice from us.

see yah

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back