What size armoured cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am in the process of digging my drive up and would like to install an armoured mains cable while I am doing it.
I won't be using it for a while but want to put it in while I have the opportunity.

It will eventually be a dedicated circuit for a utility room and a shed that are already wired, but as part of the house circuit.

The wiring will feed a microwave, washing machine, tumble dryer & fridge freezer in the utility plus there are three twin sockets in the shed that are used for light duties (jigsaw, mitre saw, radio etc).
As well as this there is an outside socket for the mower and the lights in the shed.

What I want to know is, what size cable do I need to power this? The length of armoured cable from my consumer unit to termination point in utility will be about 7/8 metres.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't install any smaller than 6mmsq 3-core, although if you can stretch to 10mmsq then you may as well. Even better would be to run a duct, so that an electrician can select and pull through the correct size cable for you in the future.

Make sure you do your research and bury it at the correct depth with warning tape, otherwise you may find your sparks reluctant to connect it up further down the line.

There three sockets in the shed for jigsaw, mitre saw and radio etc...
So do you already have electric in the shed.
I would go with 10mm might even consider running two radial socket circuits to spread thye load one for appliances and one for the tools.
Plus one for the lightings.
Likely to get away with 6mm but as electronicsuk mentioned, 10mm if you can and also make sure the cable run complies to regs.

Make sure you get plenty of photos of the installation and warning tape if you're planning to ask an electrician to use it without seeing it go in, use a depth stick in the photos.

I went for 10mm at around four pounds a metre in the end for my garage, more than needed is not a problem whereas smaller than needed is, and the price difference on bigger cable is insignificant compared to the cost of the job if it ever needed replacing.

Sponsored Links
There three sockets in the shed for jigsaw, mitre saw and radio etc...
So do you already have electric in the shed.
I would go with 10mm might even consider running two radial socket circuits to spread thye load one for appliances and one for the tools.
Plus one for the lightings.
Likely to get away with 6mm but as electronicsuk mentioned, 10mm if you can and also make sure the cable run complies to regs.

Yes there is already electric in the shed. The shed is attached to the utility which in turn is attached to the house. The shed lights currently run from a fused spur off the circuit in the shed.

So 10mm is the way to go then, I wasn't sure if you could go 'too big' as it were.

Thanks for your replies

You can go too big,
If the existing socket are staying in place and being fed by a different device, you could easily get away with 6mm but for what it's worth 10mm will satisfy your needs and will leave room for any additions to the circuit load at a latter date.

Just put the duct in with suitable draw rope and then let your competant electrician do the work when you are ready. He will be able to buy the cable cheaper than you anyway and select the correct size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back