What sort of circuit is this? (installing new light)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Firstly apologies in advance because I am sure this is very basic but after looking through the diagrams and previous posts I am still unsure what sort of lighting circuit I have - I want to have everything clear and prepared before I start touching anything!

1. I have just split a room so am looking to add a new light and switch to the one side that now does not have one.

2. Went into the attic (what did the previous owners do to it!?) to have a look.

3. Below picture is of two cables going to/from the existing light.

4. Below are cables going to and from the existing light switch. The cable on the right is going to/from the light fitting. The cable on the top left is slightly thicker than the other 2.

5. Just in case it is any help, below is the wiring on the other side of the attic (which also feeds a room with two switches for 1 light).

So really just want to know what type of circuit, but any suggestions/tips as to the best way to go about this are gratefully received (obviously happy to look this up myself!).

Thanks,
Jim

Sponsored Links
Your first picture either shows a feed and switch drop going to a light fitting or, if there are/were two fittings that came on together from the same switch, one may be a switched feed in and the other a switched feed out to another light.

The second picture presumably shows a 3C+E cable and two Twin+E switch drops to a two gang switch plate.

It looks as if you have typical loop in/out at the ceiling rose wiring. The third picture could show anything, personally I'd call it a mess!

Photos of the actual wiring behind the ceiling roses and switches would be more useful.

In the room before you started knocking it about was there just one centre light on the ceiling?

Also was there just a single switch inside the door, or was there a pull switch over the bed as well?

Thank you both.

RF - Yes just one central light and typical switch by the door.

Would add more photos but can't get in tonight as the little one is asleep in there.

Jim

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back