What thickness plywood for cellar cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to build a cellar hatch. It's 735w x 1420l.

It will have hinges on the long side and I'll be getting 2 gas struts to hold it up when opening (like a car boot).

Along with the ply, on top of it will go 6mm ply + 20mm engineered wood floor - this is to keep it the same level as the rest of the floor when that gets done.

My question is, what thickness ply should I use? An adult couldn't walk on it, because of the head height, but my little kids might. And should I use hard or soft wood? I'm conscious of making it too heavy for the gas struts - I will need to specify the weight to the gas struts people at some point.

Sponsored Links
25mm ply should be strong enough, would not use gas struts sudden failure could be dangerous, better to latch open with a length of chain or steel hook.

The main reason for the struts is for taking the weight out of the lifting. What's the chance of both gas struts suddenly failing - surely as dangerous as every car boot and bonnet out there. Anyway...

I could always complement the struts with a safety chain.

Thanks

Your trap door is going to be heavier than most car doors, only one strut had to fail to cause collapse.You could use a counter balance to reduce weight when lifting.

Sponsored Links
Do you reckon it will be heavier? Car boots are pretty heavy - especially on older cars with heavy metal and glass etc... I'll report back with a weigh in.

Anyway, like you suggest... i'll add a safety mechanism.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back