What this calculation

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
X = 0.27 divided by 27.15

key sequence is

/
=

Be good also to know how it's done on the calculator
As bernard has illustrated, it's very easy to do with a calculator provided that you know how to re-arrange the equation so that is becomes "x = <something>" (i.e. the 'x' is the only thing on the left-hand side of the equals sign). You then use the calculator to work out the bit on the right-hand side of the equals sign. In your case, if you divide both sides of your equation by 27.15, you get:

(27.15 x) divided by 27.15 = 0.27 divided by 27.15

since 27.15 divided by 27.15 is 1, that becomes:

1 x = 0.27 divided by 27.15
or
x = 0.27 divided by 27.15

... and then you do as bernard indicated with your calculator.

Kind Regards, John

Scientific calculators will work x out for you. Just enter the equation.
Alternatively, just email President Trump, he's clever.

Soemtron, bloomin new-fangled thing.

This is the only way to do it

ComptometerModel3D11.jpg

At least it works during power cuts...

I did love the Soemtron 220 from the 1960's
"New-fangled" (at the time) electronic gizmos :)

I was brought up, in the late 60s, with mechanical ones - a cross between a cash register and a "on armed bandit", with a big level on the side that one had to push to do each stage of the calculation!

Edit: Ah - TTC has found one - although the ones I used look more like cash (old-fashioned) registers than that.

Kind Regards, John

Why on earth would you use a calculator, once you have rearranged it it is simple to do in your head?
You should not overlook the extent to which levels of basic numeracy vary, even today. I know plenty of people who would not know where to start in rearranging even an equation as simple as that one - hence my post above.

Kind Regards, John

Seriously? Shifting decimal point by one digit to the right means multiplying by ten, and to the left dividing by ten. You need to shift it by two digits, so divide by 10*10, which is multiplication by 0.01.
Forget calculators, computers and apps!

Seriously? Shifting decimal point by one digit to the right means multiplying by ten, and to the left dividing by ten. You need to shift it by two digits, so divide by 10*10, which is multiplication by 0.01.
As I wrote to winston, you have to realise that some people just don't have an understanding of the concept of an equation, or even the effect of shifting decimal points. It's sad, but true.

Kind Regards, John

I remember doing some maths in collage, quadric equations, most were easy, however one or two were really hard in comparison, it seemed the setter of the questions had missed out one word.

Real

The question should have been “Find real answers to the following” however it actually said "Find answers to the following”.

It is possible some one has missed out find x to “2 significant figures”.

In the main where calculators are permitted the question does not really need them, when it is so simple with one and so complex without.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back