What to do with concrete between floor joists

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
I am renovating a bathroom on the top floor of a period block of flats.

It was last done in the 1980s (my guess). I took up the vinyl, and removed the chipboard beneath. Under that was a lot of dust and what looked like loose dry rubble.

I swept all of it away, to reveal what looks like concrete between the joists:

A4A4A7CD-A909-4C3C-979D-3ADECEC82F71.JPG

Is this a usual construction? The concrete is very "crumbly", although the joists look ok-ish (I am not entirely sure what to look/test for).

I am unlikely to need any of the underfloor pipework in the new bathroom layout (plan to run it in a box around the edge of the room for simplicity).
What's the best practice for renovating here? Remove the concrete? Keep it and build over? I intend to add underfloor heating (wire) and tiles.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
That is a bit weird! Perhaps it was done to add some mass for sound insulation. Doubt it would cause any more trouble removing it, but for the noise. What room is below, do you know?

It's the bathroom of the flat below; they are all the same shape and layout.

Yes, a bit weird! Can I just take the pipes out and screed over it?

Sponsored Links
The infill is for sound proofing and insulation, it was a common practice in some areas many years ago. Simply leave it in place or lower it to suit.
Best practice would be to fix chipboard to the joists and work on top of it - you cannot screed over a soft surface.
The copper pipes will be redundant and irrelevant with UFH, but for my money I would stay with a radiator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back