What to do with my basement floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The property is on a slope, my basement is mostly underground on 3 sides, but at the back it is just about at ground level. The land also slopes away from the property and is very sandy soil. The test pits I have dug show the sand under the edge of the floor to be damp, but very dry in the middle.

I have limited head room and would like more, or at least not to lose any!

I wish to get in some floor insulation so as to stop condensation, sort out the damp, and not spend too much money. Anything I do must keep building control happy.

One of the rooms has uneven quarry tiles, laid on a bed of about 2cm of week mortar directly on the sand, the foundations to the outside walls are about 3 or 4 bricks below the current floor level.

The other room has concrete over York Stone slabs with a DPC under the concrete, the foundations for its walls are only 2 bricks below the current floor level, and it also has the lowest ceiling.

One of the rooms with have a kitchen in, the other will have a bedroom, until recently it was rented out as a damp flat for a low rent.

Any ideals…

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back