what to do with old door handles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
See pic..
These handles are on a 1930's house. I dont really want to replace the whole mechanism as it is cut into the door. Can I just buy new handles to replace the old bakeolite ones? Not sure how they come off but il have to look into that. Im Trying to make the house more modern. What would you suggest?

thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58733745@N07/5504080254/

Sponsored Links
You can buy various types at various prices - just search for Rim Lock Knobs online.

Personally, if I was going to change the knobs, I would change the actual rim lock as well. Black ones are available from Screwfix for less than a tenner.

www.screwfix.com/prods/47768/Security/Door-Security/Rim-Locks/Olde-Rim-Lock-Black

I don't think you can beat the character of the originals though! :)

They usually have a little grub screw on the underside of one of the knobs for removal.

ive sanded down the paint off the handles- prob the wrong thing to do. Can i get the bakelite effect back? Or will sanding it down have taken the shine off forever?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Apparently Brasso is commonly used and very good for polishing Bakelite, though I can't say I would have thought of it.

Don't know if it will restore any sanding scratches, but could be worth a try!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back