what to use for Led Strips & Led spot lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys i have been searching and goggling for days now. I will appreciate any help. After the search i realized best way to keep bulbs and strips going is to use pwm dimmer and also need power adapter. But after checking quite few websites for wiring diagram am confused. this is my plan and connection i have.

Attachments

• PLAN.jpg
    PLAN.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
After the search i realized best way to keep bulbs and strips going is to use pwm dimmer
WRONG
Using PWM for dimming an LED requires special attention. PWM works well to dim incandescent lamps, LEDs are a different matter.

You are promoting ( advertising ) a supplier in China that charges low prices $5.44 and includes free postage from China, the postage isn't free, China Post charge.

So the manufacturers are producing the product for about one or two dollars. Do you expect good quality reliable items can be produced at that price

Some LED's have the driver built in and require a constant voltage power supply often called to my mind incorrectly a driver others do not have driver built in and require a constant current power supply correctly called a driver.

You seem to have a mixture.

With a constant voltage power supply to get lamps to dim it has to talk to the built in driver with constant current you simply reduce the current.

With constant voltage lamps go in parallel with constant current they go in series.

It would be less confusing if the definitions were adhered to. A LED is a Light Emitting Diode and NOT a lamp containing an LED and some type of current sourcing driver.

But it happened that marketing people called them LEDs and not Lamps with LED so the consumer gets confused.

Sponsored Links
Is it just me that thinks this whole thread is spam?!
It started from a blatent advert for some poor quality rubbish from the far east but we might as well explain why buying such low cost products is long term a waste of money.

Its neither a spam nor an advertise. One link would have been enough for that purpose. All above links and the diagrams on them shows my confusion. But I appreciate the answers and concerns, guess I will try to save the diagrams and post it so I can explain more. On one of the wall dimmer it shows Input Ac 240V, does that means no power adaptor?

Attachments

• HT1_ElnFSJaXXagOFbX3.jpg
    HT1_ElnFSJaXXagOFbX3.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 77
  • HT1A18mFGRcXXagOFbXd.jpg
    HT1A18mFGRcXXagOFbXd.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 82
  • HTB18xMUHpXXXXcyXXXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg
    HTB18xMUHpXXXXcyXXXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 115
  • HTB1.eIOHpXXXXcaXVXXq6xXFXXXQ.jpg
    HTB1.eIOHpXXXXcaXVXXq6xXFXXXQ.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 75
  • HTB1D1kRHpXXXXXfXFXXq6xXFXXXW.jpg
    HTB1D1kRHpXXXXXfXFXXq6xXFXXXW.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 749857419_074.jpg
    749857419_074.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 749857414_876.jpg
    749857414_876.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 67
  • HTB1P3j7FFXXXXXcaXXXq6xXFXXXf.jpg
    HTB1P3j7FFXXXXXcaXXXq6xXFXXXf.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 71
  • HTB1uGEcFFXXXXcWaVXXq6xXFXXXe.jpg
    HTB1uGEcFFXXXXcWaVXXq6xXFXXXe.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 771386605_716.jpg
    771386605_716.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 78
I don't think I've ever even considered buying from alibaba
all that came up on my search. I would love to buy the items here in UK as it will be easy to return if something goes wrong plus the warranty. All I need is help with the wiring diagram as to my plan shown in the first post.

I for one, don't understand what your diagram in the first post is trying to show
I am only trying to show in that diagram that its a simple switch with 2 lights and I want to change them lights to a fixing which will have 6 LED spotlights of 3w I guess and about 2 meters of LED strip EACH, so in total 12 LED spotlights and 4 meters of LED strip. My question is Can this be achieved and how?

Are the LED strips and LED spots single colour, or do you want RGB/multiple colours?
Dimming control fixed on the wall, or a wireless remote?
Is the location for these lights particularly large, as you have got about 60W of LEDS in each fitting, and 2 of those?

Are the LED strips and LED spots single colour, or do you want RGB/multiple colours?
Dimming control fixed on the wall, or a wireless remote?
Is the location for these lights particularly large, as you have got about 60W of LEDS in each fitting, and 2 of those?
The room is Large. I have not made the fixing yet so open to all suggestions. I am thinking of RGB LED strip and Cool White LED spot lights, but I might try RGB LED spots lights aswel. No dimming control yet but I would like to replace my current on/off switch with the Dimmer Touch panel and wireless remote if I can manage it.

I looked at some of the diagrams you have posted which shows how to use the lights with a dimming switch. But it seems they are not all for the same product and so first job is decide what you want? It would seem designed for use in lecture theatre or some thing similar. Clearly not DIY products.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back