What tool(s) do I need for this task? (thin metal work)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have some old hurricane lamps, like this:

HURRICANE-LANTERN-12IN.jpg

Which I plan to convert to hold a bulb and be powered by the mains. I've seen it done before, you can buy them like that. The electrics are easy, that's fine, but I will need to cut, remove and otherwise shape many parts of the metal in the bottom half to accommodate the new pieces.

The metal is thin, thinner than a tin can, I would say - some parts can be bent easily with finger pressure.

What is the right way to go about this? Obviously a drill to make simple holes in the side, but other bits are trickier like widening existing openings, removing some protrusions (no way a hack saw will get in there), etc.

What should I be using? Some good files? One of those multi-tool things with a grinding attachment? Something else?
I did have a go with some files I had lying around but they didn't get very far, tbh they might not have been the right sort at all.

Thanks for any suggestions,

(Note that there's no trace of fuel left in the lamps, so that's not a concern.)

Sponsored Links
Like you say, very thin material is used so even pressure from a drill would cause a dent! I'd try to modify the lamp as little as possible - maybe using one of those bulb holders with a male thread on the end that screws into a plate - the sort of thing you find on wooden lamps.
I think I'd be looking at a Dremel type tool with some sort of grinding attachment......not that I own such a thing!
At least the metal is thin enough to be soldered if the modifications require this.
Good luck with your project!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back