What tools would I need to make a staircase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really liked the look of the glulam beams that hold my timber frame up; so much so I'm considering asking the TF supplier to drop a few more off and I'll make a staircase out of them. Nothing too fancy, just a couple of stringers and a set of open treads. Just wondering what power tools it would be advantageous to purchase? I have in mind a router and sliding compound mitre saw would be the main ones..

Sponsored Links
jigsaw for the template
gouges if you need to copy any curves
mortice chisel ??
table saw to cut wedges [if you need to]

Good call on the router jig; top idea. The rise on this case is 160 and the glulam is 45 so I've got 15mm to fill in to get to the regulation 100.

Maybe my BI will excuse the 15 mm once I show him the size of my child's head...

I was hoping to do it wedgeless, just routering the exact slot for the tread. I saw an advisory pic on the jig product page that it's best to make the sides of the tread slot narrower at the face of the stringer than at the bottom of the slot - what's the idea behind this?

Mortice chisel - I'll look that one up too. I was going to ask for advice on how to join the stringer sections to the newels after I'd drawn the case and decided how it was all to be - my limited imagination came up with dowel and dog bones. I can fix the outside stringer to the wall so the stringer joints don't really have to bear any significant load

Sponsored Links
i would go for 95mm as a plus or or minus zero is difficult to achieve

only ever made normal staircases
suspect you could get a strong lock with a dovetail cutter but suspect someone else will enlighten you

a mortice chisel is a thick bladed chisel to allow you to lever out a mortice without breaking the blade ;)

I've made heavy shelves with tapered dovetail housings. Fiddly to do, but very strong. IIRC I did the housings with a router and home made jig, cut the dovetails on the shelves with a Leigh jig just oversize, and fitted them using a side rebate plane and a bit of chisel work top clean up. been a while back though.

I should have said it seems to be only the slot in the stringer that is dovetailed, not the tread..

32-10_sb_226.jpg

The tread is vertical I that image, the stringer has a 12mm slot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back