What trade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, just after a bit of info that is all, my nephew after finishing his qualifications would rather go into a trade than go to uni for numerous reasons but not going into that ..he is not sure what trade to go into and is looking for one that there would be ongoing work..ie gas engineer,electrician,plumber,bricklayer, joiner,plasterer, ect with a view once skilled enough would set up on his own and he is asking me and his dad and without really knowing anybody in the trade I thought I would ask the experts

Sponsored Links
I think if I could have my time again I'd be a joiner. They seem to be afforded the most time to do stuff and no one complains. Or I'd be either a plumber/electrician. Neither have heard of a shovel and none have ever used a broom.:mrgreen:

Difficult for me to be impartial because I do all the trades. Building a nice cut roof is by far the most rewarding. Bricklayers have to be adaptable to all weathers and all types of brick/ mortar etc.
Plastering (skimming and dabbing) is mundane. Rendering and wet plastering is more if a challenge.

You can earn some serious dollar on site at the moment at all the trades, but that can change quickly. I'm not a fan of sites though.

I started my working life as a joiner/carpenter. I worked most of it in restoration which to be fair is probably hugely different to a carpenters life house bumping but it was very varied work. At times we were used almost as odd job men and asked to do loads of other trades. Useful now I'm a self employed handyman type.
I think there is also the balance between job satisfaction and money. My work has been varied but the downside is that lack of repetition tends to make you slower . For example I can hang doors ok but there have been times when I've gone a couple of years between one door and the next with the result you could probably find someone who could do the same job in half the time.
There are also other things to consider. Wet trades for example are less appealing in the winter , mind so is working on a roof in close to freezing temperatures. Pointing a wall in February is a lovely job , sitting there with only your hand moving to warm you up. Plastering is a good trade if you are skilled at it , I could never master it , but messy. Indeed we worked with one guy and the joke was he allowed one bag for the ceiling and one bag for the floor. Plumbing and electrics are good too , varied and there's money in it too. There's downsides too of course , crawling through a filthy roof space or void to run in a cable or pipe. Decorating is a skill in it's own right and a good or bad decorator can have a distinct effect on the finish of a job. On the downside of that is that it's probably one of the first jobs that customers will think of doing themselves. Carpet fitting can be pretty good but watch your back mauling heavy rolls and the knees will probably suffer using the bumper.

I think if I could have my time again I'd be a joiner.

Wash your mouth out with soap young man.

The good thing about being a brickie apprentice, is that you are on site from the start and very often to the end, so you learn a hell of a lot about the building process and other trades.

I would not do it differently, you can't beat it, bricklaying every time.

Sponsored Links
Gas engineer without a doubt - you need virtually a Uni degree to get anywhere in it nowadays, the plumbing side will follow from that.

Far too many people doing plumbing & gas work is driving price`s down. I`d do plastering & tiling because a) No expensive exams to resit every 5yrs. b) No need for loads of expensive tools. c) Don`t need a big van. & d) Easy to provide before and after photographs to show your workmanship.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back