What type of Block ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im in the process of renovating an old single storey barn (120 yrs) part of which is to be a double garage. The condition of the building is very good and is double skinned brick with 5 bay openings. For the double garage I want to line the existing wall at the back and gable end and a partition wall serparating the rest of the barn. I would like a nice neat block work enclosure as seen in many garages and wonder which type of block I need as they seem to vary in price and spec ie aerated, medium dense and dense. I intend to use wall ties to secure block wall against existing but I'd be grateful for any advice with regards any required insulation between the two. If required what sort would be suitable ie. kingspan or rock wool or can I lay them flush to the old brick.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Hi Mate

Sounds like a standard 4inch medium density block would be more than adequate - for face work inside a garage I usually treat my customers to a 'Paint Grade Block' these are specifically a tighter knit block so that once white washed they look nice and neat. I buy these in at about 63p each - if you're DIYing expect to pay a bit more I guess.

Also given the fact that you are lining the barn from the inside, I would suggest a full fill rockwool/dritherm type solution would be the best for insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back