What type of staple gun and staples for wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to staple some breathable membrane plastic to some wood rafters in an outhouse and loft, what type of staple gun will be powerful enough to pin it to the wood? And what size and type of staples are needed?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I reckon the membrane would not be held with staples, the only way I can see it working is by using batons nailed into the rafters, only fly in the ointment is the tiles will probably rattle off the roof as you nail the down, or up as the case may be.

Really, why do you think the staples will be no good for holding membrane?

Sounds like nailing it is too problematic, given the roofs and tiles are old and I don't want to make a mess with the tiles.

I think the felt would rip out and leave the staples in the wood, I could be wrong, I've been wrong before.

When I've done a roof, we've put the felt down and knocked a few felt tacks in to hold it in place while we get the batons down, if there is a slight gust of wind it just rips the felt up.

Sponsored Links
A staple gun with normal 10mm staples will be fine, start from the top and it is a lot easier with two people.

I think the felt would rip out and leave the staples in the wood, I could be wrong, I've been wrong before.

When I've done a roof, we've put the felt down and knocked a few felt tacks in to hold it in place while we get the batons down, if there is a slight gust of wind it just rips the felt up.

Its not felt, its just breathable plastic, which I am told is similar to weed suppressant. it is simply to limit the dirt that falls from the tiles.

I would get a breathable roofing membrane instead of plastic and look for a white one if you want it bright.

You say there's dirt falling off your tiles. How old are these tiles? If they're nearing the end off their life span I would recommend having your roof done. New tiles, treated batons and breathable felt and while your up there pvc facia, soffits and new gutter then your good for another fifty years and it's adding a bit of value to your property should you decide to sell. Sticking a dust sheet to the under side of the rafters is at best a bodge.

In my opinion.

Rubbershield do a white one I think its the light one, you will have to google to find local suppliers as I have not mastered how to put up links.

Thanks for the advice that's really helpful.

There is no need for me t get the roof replaced, its in a good condition. Its a Victorian house with no felt and as such the loft obviously gets dirty, but this does not mean the roof is no good. The membrane will just help to keep the boarding on the floor a little cleaner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back