What wall is this? how do I paint it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post here! I hope you can help me

I recently moved into a 120 y.o. property. I am in the process of stripping the living room wallpaper, I'd like to paint the walls.

Would you be able to understand from the picture below what is the building material? Would you have any recommendation in terms of priming and painting?

I'm sorry if it's a very, very obvious question, but I'm an absolute beginner :O

20160630_092826_1.jpg

20160630_092820_1.jpg

Sponsored Links
A very good scraping and rubbing down, apply two coats of Zinsser Gardz. When dry fill and paint as normal.

As Robbie says and the Gardz will help bind down any edges of paint that remains. If you did get all of the paint off, you could just mist coat with diluted matt emulsion to 'seal' the plaster before continuing with your chosen finish coat(s), but the first method will probably save you a lot of elbow work in totally removing everything.

Oh, as for what the substrate is, it appears to be just a gypsum plaster - there are various types but the painting method is the generally the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back