What Wood Do I Need To Build This?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before:
FVKDv5v.jpg

After:
C4hW5gA.jpg

Forgive bad photoshop. I was thinking 100x100 fence posts for the 2 outer posts, 75x75 fence posts for the 2 inner posts. Then for the wood that goes across I am confused over whether to get joists or ordinary Wickes wood? Big price difference between the two. Should I get engineered joists for some of the structure and cheaper ordinary wood for the rest?

Also what colour do you think I should paint the upper half of the house (opinion I know)?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Also what do you guys think about the hight/pitch? Sorry about the massive pictures I thought this forum resizes automatically.

tliZcuH.jpg

You don't need engineered joists, just go for c16/c24 treated joists.
Not sure on the span but you'd probably get away with 6x2, use 4x4 for all your uprights, and you'll need to look at some designs on the internet to make sure you get some racking support etc.

You don't need engineered joists, just go for c16/c24 treated joists.
Not sure on the span but you'd probably get away with 6x2, use 4x4 for all your uprights, and you'll need to look at some designs on the internet to make sure you get some racking support etc.

Hi, by "engineered" I actually meant the c16 treated wood (I think), like this:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Treated-Kiln-Dried-C16-Regularised-45-x-145-x-3000mm-Single/p/190168

By the "cheaper" stuff I was imagining something like this:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Studwork-(CLS)-38-x-89mm-x-3000mm/p/145306
The above is for the rafters. Do you think I could get away with using a bit of both (assuming I'm having, say, 10 rafters)?

The vertical posts are going to be 4x4 (100x100). Though am not sure whether to have 3 or 4 of them. Looking at the distance it seems that 3 is possible... with 2x 3m planks of wood going across to make the whole 6m width of the veranda.

This is what I got so far for the design:

G1rxNCf.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are you roofing this or leaving it open like pergola?

Looks about a 2m span so you could use 4x2 but get treated as 89x38mm is too weedy.

Nah the roof is yet to be decided for another time. Thinking of 50% 12mm plywood with felt and 50% transparant polycarbonate (don't like 100% polycarbonate as it looks cheap).

The thin wood I got up there in the pic was just to see what heights I wanted - it's all I could find in the shed.

Needs to be all treated timber, stud-work will rot quickly. Will need guttering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back