What's a realistic price?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've supplied some local firms with construction drawings (draughted by a mate) and asked them to price a new porch.

Size is approx 1500 x 1250 construction is timber frame with brick / block wall to approx 700mm, concrete floor, uPVC windows and door, pitched roof with Marley tiles.

No difficulties with the site ie easy access, no problem getting foundations.

Estimates (with differing detail as to what they've actually included in the estimate) are coming in at approx £6500 + VAT.

Is this realistic (we'd been led to believe that building work was coming in at about £1000 per sq m) or are they just trying to price themselves out of the job because it's so small?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That m2 rate does not mean that you can build a 1m2 extension for £1000.

If the quotes are similar, then that's the going rate

Those prices do not surprise me although do sound slightly on the higher side. We have been looking into a 2x2.6 porch. For the foundations/ dwaft wall had quotes from 1600-2700. For the porch it self they range from 1800-2500 for a glass roofed porch. We are probably going to use the durabase system as its coming in around 1300 meaning around 3K for the project (+ me installing it)

Might also be worth looking into the durabase system - they are now doing porches as well which may fit into what your looking for.

£6500 + vat is a bit steep but porches are a costly item p/m².

Is the porch being fitted against tile hanging on the existing building or any other unusual surface?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies,

Will look at the Durabase...

There's NOTHING wakward / unusual / difficult about teh site. The porch is going against the existing gable wall (brick cavity with render) centred on the existing door.

Just seems like a lot of money (4-5 months of my pay) for what's probably 10 days work. But I guess if that's teh "going rate" then that's teh going rate.

Que sera.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back