What's going on here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I am replacing my kitchen light and I am faced with this!

What's going where here then? It's a late 70s house.

Thought it would an easy job but I'm confused! Any ideas?
image.jpeg

Thanks a lot people

Sponsored Links
It's a standard wiring procedure.

The three red wires are lives, one coming in, one going out to the next fitting and one is to the light switch.

One black wire which is the return from the switch will be in the lights L terminal (it should have a red sleeve to identify that it is a live)

The remaining two black wires in the Neutral terminal will be the incoming Neutral and the outgoing Neutral to the next light.

It's exactly the same format as used with a 'Loop in Ceiling Rose'. Click here for a link to the Wiki which provides you with a diagram.

It's impossible to see from your photo, but the L and N connections at the light maybe reversed. I say that because the two Neutrals appear to be connected to brown wires at the fitting.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your response it was very helpfull. The writing on the light is in English, the brown and grey is throwing me a bit though! The light that I am fitting is chrome. How would I earth it? Or is the not neccesary?

Thanks again

Yes, it's a little unusual. Germany used grey for neutral with brown or black for live at one time, hence my question. A check with a multimeter to the lampholders (which I assume are Edison Screw type) would confirm which is which, although as you're getting rid of that light fitting now it doesn't really matter.

The light that I am fitting is chrome. How would I earth it?
Is there a marked earth terminal or a pigtail wire on the new fitting? It might be double-insulated, in which case no earth is needed. Picture?

So the single cable goes into the live, the other 2 would go into the neutral terminals? How would I earth? Sorry if I seem simple !

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back