Whats happened to the moral self regulation on this site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mdf290

Historically members with potentially security sensitive information on this section of the site have communicated via PM's so as not to put into the public domain sensitive information.
This has been particularly practiced by the professional installers who frequent this site and information seen as innappropriate has been deleted.

The advent of the arrival of a recent member seems to have turned that whole concept upside-down.

Sponsored Links
Historically members with potentially security sensitive information on this section of the site have communicated via PM's ...........................
The advent of the arrival of a recent member seems to have turned that whole concept upside-down.
QFA

Historically members with potentially security sensitive information on this section of the site have communicated via PM's ...........................
QFA

Sponsored Links
As far as I have read everything posted about wireless alarms has been either legally in in the public domain or could be found from websites whose intention is to disclose confidential information.

MDF, do you think you are special? Do you think that vulnerability information is secret?

Sorry to burst your bubble but it isn't chap, it's public information that has rightly been put out there.

I look forward to educating you. ;)

Ok Bernard on a moral issue would YOU have posted those links on here?
Despite your position on the subject I actually believe you would not have.
Despite our differing experiences of the systems in practical use I do believe you do have the homeowners security at heart.
I do also but I have constraints which make it only possible for me to do the best I can with the budget the customers have to spend. Do I think the alarms are poor value for money? Not in the least. Do I believe they are better than not being alarmed at all.... absolutely.

MDF, do you think you are special? Do you think that vulnerability information is secret?

Sorry to burst your bubble but it isn't chap, it's public information that has rightly been put out there.

I look forward to educating you. ;)

Carry on Dpt 'educating; as you call it. Personally I cannot distinguish your actions from a burglar or an anarchist.

I am sure all the homeowners out there who I have had no contact with at all who have gone out and purchased a Yale alarm and fitted it themselves will be thrilled and delighted with your actions. They must see you as some kind of superhero..... or maybe just a knob.

Ok Bernard on a moral issue would YOU have posted those links on here?
Probably not but they can be found relatively easily by those intent on defeating alarm systems. Never forget there are suppliers who supply the tools of the trade to burglars. Why risk being caught breaking into a property when you can make a safe £50 ( or whatever the going rate is ) for supplying an electronic "jemmy" to a criminal who is prepared to risk being caught. These suppliers have a lot of technical knowledge and stand to make a lot of money without taking any risks.

Despite our differing experiences of the systems in practical use I do believe you do have the homeowners security at heart.
Yes I do, having seem the heartbreak and lasting pain that a burglary can cause.

I do also but I have constraints which make it only possible for me to do the best I can with the budget the customers have to spend.[
Do you try to influence them to move money from their luxuries budget to their security budget. Replace the stolen 42 inch TV with a smaller one and use the money saved to pay for a more secure alarm system. Then later buy the 42 inch TV. Maybe that seems harsh but many families do skimp on security to pay for luxuries which increase their risk of burglary.

Do I think the alarms are poor value for money? Not in the least. Do I believe they are better than not being alarmed at all.... absolutely.
In a street of alarms the crook will go for the house with the bell box of the known weakest, easiest to defeat. With a £50 electronic "jemmy" the Yale and similar one way systems are the ones the crooks will go for.

Ah, OK.

I posted that on TSI on the 1st of May.

The reason I came here was I noticed my blog was getting hits from PMs on the site, and I assume it is being passed around by PM.

I will be visiting the new forest estate face book and making sure the have much more detailed info so they can shunt the door on con men like you would charge them for fitting a crap DIY system
Not a good idea.

It is a system that in ideal conditions will almost certainly detect the common oportunist intruder. It might be enough to frighten them enough to run before being able to remove large items. It won't stop them stealing a few easy to grab items, like car keys, and leaving the premises with the items grabbed. It will probably alert the owner that damaged doors / windows need to be repaired and wake up a few neighbours who will probably not take much interest.

What prospective buyers need to be aware of is that ideal conditions cease to exist when there are other users of the radio channel in close proximity. Having some types of baby monitor will require the jamming detection to be turned off to avoid annoying the neighbours.

Ah, OK.

I posted that on TSI on the 1st of May.

The reason I came here was I noticed my blog was getting hits from PMs on the site, and I assume it is being passed around by PM.

Yes it is doing it's rounds.

There's a lot more interesting stuff I would like to post, but I'm being cautious as:
a) A lot of people seem to be angry about it
b) I've been threatened with legal action

I find it very odd that one hand I'm being told no one will ever exploit anything I publish, but if I publish it, it's deleted from forums.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back